1. I might be exhausted. I’ve got 1 year old twins and a 4 year old. That’s wonderful but exhausting.
2. One of the three kids could be exploding with vomit. They love to share illness and when they’re sick they need mum.
3. My babysitter fell through.
4. I don’t feel comfortable going out at night. I haven’t felt safe being on my own at night since I was raped at 16. I really do make an effort to do things at night but it makes me physically ill each and every time. Don’t get mad at me for the times I don’t go, please be thankful for the times I do go because it is seriously a big fucking deal for me each and every time. And yes, I might be meeting you somewhere so you think I’m not out alone at night but the journey there and back is on my own. It doesn’t matter how you try to convince me that my fears are stupid they are still there. Generally I just say no straight out to evening events but I have been trying to expand my confidence. I can’t always get myself over that line. You want me over that line, then you need to walk with me over it. Simple.
5. You’ve invited me and my kids and the kids will be batshit crazy tired and angry and I just can’t put them through that.